Pharmacognostic standardization and antibacterial potential of aerial herbs of Portulaca grandiflora Hooker (Portulaceae)
To establish the standardization parameters for complete pharmacognostic evaluation of aerial parts of Portulaca grandiflora (P. grandiflora) Hook (Portulaceae) an important herb in Indian medicinal system. Present study was carried out by performing some parameters such as morphological, microscopical, physicochemical evaluation, florescence analysis; preliminary phytochemical analysis, thin layer chromatographic study and antimicrobial potential of alcoholic extract of P. grandiflora were carried out. Macroscopically the leaves are fleshy leaves, watery, needle shape. Flowers are racemes form; fruits are ovoid with small black colored seed. Chemomicroscopy revealed the presence of Rubiaceous stomata in leaf; Rosette calcium oxalate crystals and protoplast in mesophyll of leaf, cortex and pith of stem and root; pink colored cuticle of stem, collateral vascular bundle with lignified xylem, abundant of starch grains and mucilaginous cells in all aerial parts. Physicochemical evaluation used to determined numerical standards showed a results with total ash (14.5±0.05%), acid insoluble ash (5.24±0.01%), water soluble ash (3.28±0.02%), sulphated ash (10.2±0.05%), ethanol soluble extractive (18.6±0.02%), water soluble extractive (2.7±0.03%), moisture content (24.0±0.02%), swelling index (4.60 ml) and total crude fiber content(48.36±0.05%) in powder of stem. Preliminary phytochemical analysis revealed the presence of alkaloid, steroids, Triterpenoids, flavonoid, tannins, and carbohydrates. The total flavonoid content in alcoholic extract was found to be 0.094 mg/mg. The alcoholic extract of herbs showed significant inhibition of microorganisms. The results of the study can serve as a valuable source of information and provide suitable standards for the identification of this plant material in future investigation and application.
Full Text Attachment